Youth Opportunity Program
The Quileute Youth Opportunity Program (YOP) provides tribal youth between the ages of 14-18 with opportunities for meaningful and engaged work experience, skill development, and exposure to various workplace environments to prepare and cultivate youth for successful futures and careers. YOP operates as a seasonal summer employment program partnering with local businesses and tribal departments to offer youth work experience. Youth will have the opportunity to work at one of our partner organizations for a 6 week period.
At program completion, youth will have demonstrated their ability to:
- Complete a job application, including resume and cover letter
- Conduct a job interview
- Adhere to appropriate work place behavior and ethic
- Learn basic on the job skills
- Tribal youth
- Ages 14-18 ( as of June 2020)
- On track to graduate high school or enrolled in summer school. Written documentation from school official is required with application.
- Youth will be required to attend the mandatory STATS Camp (TBD- JUNE 2020).
- During STATS youth will complete the necessary components (application, resume, cover letter) to submit a YOP Job Application.
- A committee will review YOP applications and select youth to conduct job interviews.
- Pending committee review of job applications and interviews, youth will be notified if they have been hired for a YOP position.
STATS Camp: Strategies To Achieve Tomorrow’s Success (STATS) was implemented into the program in 2014 to provide youth with training to develop transferable job and life skills. STATS lessons include basic workplace conduct and ethics, problem solving and communication skills, goal setting, resume and cover letter writing, and interviewing.
Youth who complete STATS Camp will receive a $100 gift card for completing even if they do not get hired for a YOP position.
Please note: Attending STATS Camp and completing a job application DOES NOT guarantee youth will be offered a YOP position. However, completion of STATS Camp, as well as, a complete job application with all of the necessary documents, is required to APPLY.
YOP 2019 Season
33 youth completed STATS CAMP.
29 youth completed interviews and were hired.
28 youth successfully completed the season!
A big thanks goes to our partner agencies for agreeing to mentor, train, and provide work experience for the past 6 weeks. This program wouldn’t be possible without you!
Youth Program Manager
- Human Services
- Youth Services
- Drug & Alcohol Prevention
- Early Childhood Education
- Seniors Program
- Higher Education